To Flush or Not to Flush
Flushing anything that is not dissolvable in water can cause clogged sewage or drainage lines, sewage backups and other problems in your home. They can also cause problems at Bonita Springs Utilities, Inc.’s wastewater treatment plants.
Avoid causing blockages and toss these items in the trash, NOT the toilet:
- “Flushable” wet wipes – even when they say they’re flushable, they’re really not because they don’t disintegrate in water
- Disposable mop and toilet wand heads, including Swiffer pads
- FOG: fats, oil and grease
- Feminine hygiene products
- Dental floss
- Cotton swabs
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Medications and chemicals — flushing medicine can affect our water supply and wildlife. Visit www.sheriffleefl.org to locate the drop box nearest you to dispose of unused, unwanted, or expired medicine.